When is Municipal Court held?

Initial appearances in Municipal Court are held every Tuesday at 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM.

When are trials held?

Municipal Court trials are also held on Tuesday at 1:00, 2:00, 2:30 or 3:00 p.m.

What if I am unable to attend my scheduled court date?

Please contact the Clerk of Courts two days prior to your initial appearance at 920-766-6378 and notify them of your situation.  If the court is not notified that you will not be attending, you will be found guilty by default.

Who do I call if I need an attorney?

You are responsible to secure and pay for any legal representation you require for your personal needs.  The local telephone directory provides an extensive listing of attorneys in the area.

Do I have to appear for my initial court date?

If your citation is marked “Yes” for mandatory appearance YOU MUST APPEAR at the specified time on your citation.  This information is located next to the court date and time.

If your citation is marked “No” for appearances, you DO NOT have to appear, but you then MUST PAY the forfeiture prior to your initial appearance court date.   Payment can be made by phone, mail, or stopping into the Kaukauna Police Department.  If you fail to notify the Court of your plea by the specified court date, a no-contest/guilty by default judgment will be entered in against you and you will be required to pay the imposed forfeiture.

Can I enter a plea of “NOT GUILTY” prior to my court date?

Yes, you can. The court must receive a written plea two days prior to your initial appearance court date.  The letter must include:  Date of letter, citation number(s), plea, name, address, phone number and signature.  Once the court has received your plea of ‘NOT GUILTY’, it is your responsibility to schedule a pretrial conference with the City Attorney, Kevin Davidson,  The notice of trial will be mailed to the address provided on your form.  To schedule a pretrial conference, contact Attorney Davidson at 920-766-6318, any time after the Monday following your initial appearance.

How can I pay my forfeiture?

  • You may mail your payment to the Kaukauna Municipal Court, 144 W. Second Street, Kaukauna, WI. 54130.  Please be sure to include your citation number with your payment.  Do not mail cash.  Make checks or money orders payable to: City of Kaukauna
  • You may pay your fine in person at the Kaukauna Police Department.  Payment can be made by cash, check, credit or debit card.  There is no additional fee when paying with credit or debit card.
  • Payments can be make by telephone using credit or debit card through the Kaukauna Police Department at 920-766-6333.  There is no additional fee when paying with credit or debit card.

What happens if I do not pay?

If you do not pay your financial obligation to the Court, notification may be sent to D.O.T. to place a suspension on your driving privileges or a warrant may be issued for your arrest.  Your taxes may also be intercepted.  You may also be turned over  to the Wisconsin Debt Collection program.

Do I have to report a change of address?

Yes.  If you have any pending cases with Kaukauna Municipal Court, it is your responsibility to keep your address current.  If you fail to provide the Court with the appropriate contact information, you may not receive proper notification regarding your case in the future.  This will result in a default judgment entered against you. Contact the Court through the Clerk of Courts at 920-766-6378

How may I reopen a case?

To request a case be re-opened you must put a formal request in writing to the City of Kaukauna Municipal Court.

You must understand that:

  • There is a non-refundable fee of $50.00 that is to accompany your request.
  • There must be a valid reason(s) to re-open this case.

If the Judge grants your request, you will be scheduled for an upcoming hearing.

The judge may deny your request.  If the Judge does not grant the request to re-open, you will still owe the forfeiture(s) for the violation(s).

Re-opening a case does not guarantee the outcome will be any different than the original finding/points assessed.

Do convictions of Kaukauna Municipal Court end up on Wisconsin Circuit Court Access ?

Kaukauna Municipal Court is not a court of record, therefore records of court proceedings do not end up on Wisconsin Circuit Court Access.

Does Judge Windorff perform weddings?

Yes, please feel free to contact her through our court office, or if you are attempting to contact her other than on a Tuesday, please call 920-766-0320.