REDEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY OF THE CITY OF KAUKAUNA
A meeting of the Redevelopment Authority of the City of Kaukauna was called to order at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, July 30, 2019, by Chairman Feldt.
Members Present: Feldt, Landreman, Smith, VanderWyst, Windorff (joined the meeting at 9:20 a.m.).
Also Present: Planning Director Jakel, Principal Planner Brunette, Kristen Fish Peterson and Marisa Mutty from Redevelopment Resources, Applicants.
Absent and Excused: Kohne, Natrop.
- Minutes. A motion to approve the minutes of the April 26, 2019, meeting was made by Vander Wyst, seconded by Smith. All members voted aye. Motion carried.
- Loan Request by Lorbiecki Homes, LLC. Mr. Jakel explained that the applicants are purchasing the property on the corner of Lawe Street and Wisconsin Avenue via a land contract and are looking at making improvements to the exterior of the building. Applicant John Lorbiecki explained that they have been in business for 10 years and the contracting aspect of the business is growing rapidly. They would be adding two expeditors, one secretary and one errand person to their staff. Ms. Smith asked about the planned improvements to the exterior. Mr. Lorbiecki explained that he planned new brick, windows, plumbing and electrical work. Chairman Feldt asked about the funds being requested from RACK. Mr. Lorbiecki explained that he is requesting $80,000 from RACK towards the $145,000 total project cost. There is no conventional financing involved in the project. Ms. Smith asked for additional details on the current business structure. Mr. Lorbiecki explained that they construct approximately 20 homes per year, primarily concentrated within the Fox Valley and they currently work out of their home and job trailers. There would be no construction equipment parked on the downtown site.
- Executive Session – Lorbiecki Homes, LLC. A motion to adjourn to Executive Session at 9:10 a.m. pursuant to Wisconsin State Statutes 19.85(1)(e) to discuss the loan request was made by Landreman, seconded by Smith. All members voted aye. Motion carried.
- Open Session – Lorbiecki Homes, LLC. A motion to return to Open Session at 9:45 a.m. was made by VanderWyst, seconded by Landreman. All members voted aye. Motion carried. Chairman Feldt explained that the Authority’s consensus was to advise the applicant to pursue conventional financing on the project with RACK agreeable to participating with gap financing contingent on review of financial statements, three years of tax returns and a business plan. Mr. Feldt explained that RACK appreciates the applicant’s efforts in renovating the highly visible property and looks forward to working together on the project.
- Update on Revolving Loan Fund Program Restructuring. Ms. Peterson and Ms. Mutty updated the Authority on the status of the revolving loan fund program restructuring. A draft version of the new loan terms and application will be forwarded to RACK for their review at a future meeting.
- General Matters. Mr. Jakel explained that the sheriffs sale on RACK’s foreclosure of the Quencher’s Food and Spirits building at East Second Street took place on July 25th with confirmation of the sale scheduled for August 30th. Ms. Vandenberg refused to allow staff to enter the premises following the sheriff’s sale however, Kaukauna Police Department officers were able to view the current condition of portions of the building and equipment still in place.
There being no further business to be brought before the Authority, a motion to adjourn the meeting at 11:10 a.m. was made by Landreman, seconded by Windorff. All members voted aye. Motion carried.
Respectfully submitted –
Community Development Coordinator